After years of planning, Nintendo and Universal are finally revealing some info on their previously announced collaboration in theme park attractions. In a joint press release, Nintendo and Universal said:
Imagine the fun of stepping into a larger-than-life Nintendo adventure. Gigantic Piranha Plants spring to life. Question blocks, power-ups and more surround you. And Mario and all his friends are there to pull you into a brand-new world. You will enter an entire realm filled with iconic Nintendo excitement, gameplay, heroes and villains. And it is coming to three Universal theme parks around the globe. The creative visionaries behind Nintendo’s legendary worlds and characters are working together with the creative teams behind Universal’s blockbuster theme park attractions. Their goal: to bring the characters, action and adventure of Nintendo video games to life within Universal theme parks. And to do so in new and innovative ways that capture what makes them so special. All of the adventure, fun and whimsy you experience through a screen will now be all around you – in breathtakingly authentic ways.
Other points brought up in the press release include:
- Nintendo themed areas are coming to Universal's Osaka, Orlando, and Hollywood Parks
- Nintendo is working very closely with Universal to create an immersive experience for people of any age and gaming experience
- Shigeru Miyamoto is among the Nintendo personnel working with Universal
- Great progress has been made, and the first of these areas will be open within the next few years
- Each park will have their own specific area, and the first announcement from a park will be coming soon
The collaboration between Nintendo and Universal was first announced last year. Last month, Nintendo also revealed their new console, the Nintendo Switch, which you can read more about here.